Registration is open for children to receive Christmas gifts at the ‘Salvation Army’

This is the second year Diana Palacios has signed her daughter up for free toys at the Salvation Army of Ridgewood. 

“I like it, because my daughter was very happy when she came to see the toys, she says ‘mami surprise’ – I told her ‘yes, my daughter, only surprise for you’… since she was my first daughter, then I was moved to see her joy, it was my joy,” Palacios said.

This is the ‘Angel Tree’ program, which has been giving away toys to poor children under 12 years of age for more than 35 years. 

“It’s not just any little gift. We look for what they like. What we want is for them to feel happy when they open their little gift on Christmas day,” said Melissa Bonet, a lieutenant with the Salvation Army of Ridgewood.“It’s not just any little gift. We look for what they like. What we want is for them to feel happy when they open their little gift on Christmas day,” said Melissa Bonet, a lieutenant with the Salvation Army of Ridgewood.

Children can order a total of three items.

“I asked for my daughter a doll and a tricycle so that she can play and I am waiting for everything to be favorable with God’s blessing and for my daughter to have that same joy that she will have what she wants. In general, who gives you a gift for Christmas? Here, if you don’t work, you don’t have your things,” added Palacios.

Registration is open on Tuesdays from 10:00 am to 12:30 pm through October 19. 

To register your children you need to bring a copy of the birth certificate from any country, an ID, proof of income and address.

“Previously we have sponsored about 100, 150 families, this year we would love to reach 200 families,” added Bonet.

In addition to Ridgewood, registration for this program is open at other Salvat